The Buildings

Broadhurst

Broadhurst is a 7-storey Grade II listed building which, as the elegant roundheaded doorway proudly states, was built in 1898. Today it still retains many of its handsome Edwardian baroque features, and these distinctive, classical qualities mark Broadhurst as one of the most characterful and impressive buildings in the city.

 

Following an extensive refurbishment, the building now benefits from:

• Large, open plan, highly efficient floor plates

• Exposed heating and cooling system

• Full access raised floors

• LG7 compliant lighting

• Male, female and disabled WC facilities

• Shower and changing room facilities

• Secure basement car parking

• Concierge style front of house

• On site building manager

• Secure bike storage

Lee

Connected to Broadhurst and yet distinctive in style, Lee is an 8-storey Grade II listed building constructed in the 1930s and is a masterpiece of modernism. The reception area in the building has been recently refurbished and provides a contemporary breakout and waiting area for visitors and occupiers.

 

The office space is finished to a high specification which includes the following features:

• Large open plan, highly efficient floor plates

• Exposed heating and cooling system

• Full access raised floors

• Male, female and disabled WC facilities

• Shower and changing room facilities

• Concierge style front of house

• Secure basement car parking

• On site building manager

• Secure bike storage

Simple digital floorplan of The Tootal Buildings

Café

The on-site Café Bean is open from 7.00am – 4.00pm every weekday. With a selection of delicious artisan coffees, along with a wide range of hot and cold drinks and breakfast and lunch specials, there will always be something to satisfy your needs at The Tootal Buildings. Stay up to date with the seasonal menu changes and specials by following The Tootal Buildings social media channel.

 

Lee also has a self service machine that is available for all visitors and occupiers.

Courtyard at The Tootal Buildings

Courtyard

The large open-air courtyard in the centre of the building is a great place to spend time with colleagues. The courtyard can also be used for events.

Cycle Storage

The cycle storage is situated in the basement and can store up to 90 bicycles. Access is via Great Bridgewater Street. For more information on using the space, please contact the facilities management team.

The Tootal Buildings have shower facilities in both Broadhurst and Lee House

Showers

The showers and lockers are situated in the basement. To access the space, please request the door code from the facilities management team.

History of the buildings

The buildings were constructed in 1898 as a head office and textile warehouse for Tootal, Broadhurst and Lee, designed by J. Gibbons Sankey. They were built as part of the late 19th century wave of warehouse development in the city and are part of an important group of historic buildings on Oxford Street.

 

The 7-storey, 7-bay buildings are prominent on the west side of the street, overlooking the Rochdale Canal. The front elevation and parts of the Rochdale Canal and Great Bridgewater Street elevations were designed in an imposing classical style, with a ground floor plinth, bold cornices and giant pilasters. The up-to-date functional design of the interior included fire-proof floors and a steel-frame, which allowed for generous floor plates and large windows.

 

Other innovative features included a one-way goods vehicle circulation off the Great Bridgewater Street frontage, since altered. The Buildings were extended in several phases, the first in 1910 when additions to the rear were designed in a seamless architectural style. In the 1950s a new office block was built on the canal frontage, and at the same time, the narrow rear courtyards were in-filled, leaving one large courtyard between Broadhurst and Lee.

  • 2020

    Churchgate becomes Broadhurst, taking the building back to its original name. The reception area gets a revamp, with an improved entrance and refreshed cafe space.

  • 2019

    Lee House reception area is given a complete refurbishment, creating elegant, stylish break-out space within the ground floor. 

  • 2014-2015

    Churchgate is transformed, the £1M refurbishment sees Helical Plc removing an office suite to make room for a larger reception area with on-site cafe and communal space for informal meetings  - the first of its kind in Manchester city centre.

  • 2014

    Helical Plc acquire Churchgate & Lee Buildings.

  • 1990

    The space was remodelled to provide office space to rent.

  • 1980

    The basement was stripped out to create a car park.

  • 1974

    The buildings’ heritage was recognised and it was Grade II listed.

  • 1966

    The Manchester architect Harry Fairhurst produced designs for alterations to create showrooms for Barlow & Jones and Ogden & Madeleys. Much of the building was ‘modernised’ during this time with parquet flooring, fireplaces and removal of wooden panelling. It is also thought that the mosaic floor entrance was removed.

  • 1963

    Tootal Broadhurst and Lee merged with the English Sewing Company Ltd.

  • 1931

    Lee House was partially completed, just 8 storeys high and changes to the building had a lot to do with the impending economic depression. This warehouse extension to the Tootal Broadhurst Building was described by Pevsner as “...one of the very best of the interwar buildings in the centre.”

  • 1923

    James Henry Sellers collaborated with Harry S. Fairhurst and Sons on the design of Lee House on Great Bridgewater Street and extension of the Tootal Broadhurst and Lee Building. The 17-storey building would have been the tallest in Europe at the time.

    Sellers also designed the memorial for the Great War which is still at Broadhurst to this day.

  • 1920

    The company took out a number of patents developing new innovations such as crease resistant fabrics, making their products iconic in fashion history, with Tootal scarves and ties still popular to this day.

  • 1914-1918

    During the First World War, the company was noted for giving guarantees that all men returning after service would be reinstated in their old positions.

  • 1898

    The Tootal Broadhurst Lee Building completed on Oxford Street in Manchester and was described by Matthew Dennison as “a powerful monument to the entrepreneurialism of the Industrial Revolution and Victorian bombast.”

  • 1896

    The Tootal Broadhurst Lee Building was designed by Joseph Gibbons Sankey in the neo-baroque style.

  • 1888

    Tootal Broadhurst and Lee company was incorporated, manufacturing fancy cloths with over 5,000 employees making it the largest cotton firm in the UK. Sir Joseph Cocksey Lee became Chairman of the company.

  • 1811

    Son of Robert Gardener, Henry Tootal Broadhurst established a business partnership in Manchester with Edward Tootal and Henry Lee.

  • 1799

    The company was founded by Lancashire textile merchant, Robert Gardener.

Helical

Helical Plc is a developer that believes in the value of quality. They secure success by crafting exceptional buildings that answer the needs of their tenants. For 30 years, Helical has been doing this across the UK. They have built a reputation for high-quality, innovative architecture that solves problems and creates inspiring spaces. 

 

There’s no Helical ‘formula.’ Instead, they take a bespoke approach to each project, looking at the best ways to deliver quality buildings that respond positively to their surroundings. The Tootal Buildings are part of Helical’s Manchester portfolio totalling newly 400,000 sq ft of prime commercial real estate in the city centre. “Helical are committed to providing exceptional workspace for our occupiers,” said Will Parry, Asset Management Executive at Helical Plc. “We have a clear vision when it comes to location, architecture, interior design and the way the building is curated – we want people to enjoy working in a Helical building.” 

 

In each case, that highly adaptable quality is obvious. These are not simply ‘balance sheet buildings,’ designed to maximise short-term returns. Above all, they offer imaginative, elegant, even beautiful answers to the complex needs of their occupiers and locations.”